Building Regulations Part 2


Building Regulations Section 2: Part J to Part Q


As there are a total 23 Parts to the SANS 10400 Building Regulations we have divided them into three sections to improve the ease of navigation.

The order in which the different Parts of the regulations are displayed follows the same order as the regulations themselves as they are published.

Floors-Part J,

Walls-Part K,

Roofs-Part L,

Stairways-Part M,

Glazing-Part N,

Lighting and Ventilation-Part O,

Drainage-Part P,

Non-Water-Borne Sanitary Disposal-Part Q



  4 Responses to “Building Regulations Part 2”

Comments (4)
  1. Hi

    I would like to know the following:

    What is the standard width of a passageway in an office building?
    Is it a legal requirement to submit drawings for dry wall partitioning to council for approval?

    • Ellian, Part C of SANS 10400, Dimensions gives some guidelines, but does not cover the width of passages – only height (2.1 m). It also states, “Two or more spaces shall be deemed to be one room if any dividing wall or partition, including any door, erected between such spaces occupies less than 60 % of the area of the separating plane” in which case plans would not be required. There are though some specifications for public buildings in terms of disabled people in Part S. There must be sufficient space to enable wheelchair users to make 90° turns. In this part of the regulations the minimum passage width specified is 900 mm. The minimum width for a doorway is 750 mm.

  2. Good day I wouldlike to know what the the regulations is about a toilet drain pipe is in your home. We rent a house a woodwn structure but there is a a flat build underneath the hoise but our rooms drainpipes go through the flat its not covered and when some one us the toilet you can imagaine the smell.

    • The regulations regarding drainage are extremely strict. What you describe it completely illegal. What you should do is call in a qualified, registered plumber and get a report that you can give to the landlord. You could also ask the health inspector from your local authority to investigate.

 Leave a Reply


(required but will remain confidential and not be published)

© 2012-2017 SANS 10400 • © Notice Sitemap • Contact Us • Terms & Conditions Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha